[Recipe] Baked Zucchini Fries
July 11, 2012 in Life
We LOVE french fries … and so do our love handles! Unfortunately, as we get older, our metabolisms slow down. This means that our super slim bodies that we had in our early 20′s aren’t so slim in our 30′s. Perhaps, I’m speaking from personal experience. I know that this isn’t always the case as my 50′s-something mother has the metabolism of a hummingbird. How she does not gain a pound after a minimum of 5 rounds plus dessert at an all-you-can-eat buffet is beyond me.
The good news is that you don’t have to sacrifice the things you love to eat. You can improvise or make alternatives. I introduce to you the super healthy alternative to my favourite food in the whole wide world: Baked Zucchini Fries!
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into skinny sticks
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (we make our own)
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.
- Put the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cheese on a plate-I used a pie tin. Mix well.
- Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg whites and then into the bread crumb mixture, make sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet. I did the sticks one by one.
- Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. I turned over the fries half way through. Serve warm. We like to dip ours in marinara sauce.
Try this recipe and let us know how they turn out below!